From:
Fred A Hurd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:01:41 EDT
Dear Fuzzy Lovers.

OK I run a rescue.  That means I do NOT adopt out again.  I take in the
hard to place ferrets that are unadoptable.  Now yes I now that some of
you folks here say there isn't such a thing but I beg to differ with you.
Who wants to take in an ill, bald and half starved ferret who you know
needs medical attention and is going to run up a big bill at the vets?
Not many I am willing to bet.  Well I take them in and I care for them
and yes if they need to go to a vet then off they go, BUT once I take
them in they have a forever home with me.  Some of my gang have been
homed and rehome so often they don't know where they were until they
came home with me.  Some have only had one home but for some reason the
owners have contacted me to take in their ferrets.  I have heard it all
folks but yes some folks have just had some bad luck and couldn't keep
their fuzzies in their changing situations.  Some just gave them up to
get rid of them.  I don't judge them for any of this.  I had one guy call
me just last week.  He had three ferrest he needed to place.  His wife
just left him and he had to change his living arragements.  He had to
move very soon and couldn't have his ferrets.  I made arrangments to have
him contact our local Shelter The Biggest Little Ferret Shelter and he
was able to surrender his frets to October.  I didn't really want to
take them as they were a threesome and bonded and very placeable
according to him.  If they had some problems such as old age, medical
history or a behavioral problems then I would have taken them in with
the understanding that they would have a forever home with me.

I do not have to have a license as it is not required in the State of
Nevada or in the county of Washoe.  I am not licensed as a shelter or a
rescue but I have been doing it now for over 6 years.  WHY??  Why would
anyone want to spend way over two grand a year on upkeep, meds and vets
bills just to keep trouble ferrets?  I DO THIS BECAUSE I LOVE THE
FERRETS.  I DO NOT ASK FOR DONATIONS, OR SUPPLIES AS I FIGURE I TOOK THIS
ON ALL BY MYSELF AND I DO IT ALL BY MYSELF.  AGAIN BECAUSE I LOVE THIS
BREED.  I know several other ferret folks some online out there as well
who never seek the limelight as they are too dam busy trying to save
another ferret who is close to deaths door due to some person who either
didn't know better or who just didn't give a rat's behind what happened
to his or her ferret.  I have seen one person stay up for two nights in
a row fighting to save a fret's life due to some else's ignorance or
neglect, or both.  WHY.  SAME REASON AS ABOVE.  THEY DO IT FOR THE LOVE
OF THE ANIMAL.  Folks, my hat to off all the way to ANYONE, who takes the
time, effort, expense, and caring to try to make a difference in a
ferrets's life.  SO why debate over who is legit or not.  Do you really
care or are you just wanting to stir the pot a bit more?  As long as a
person is helping ferrets, then give them a helping hand as well.
Volunteer to work in a shelter somewhere and see for yourself how is is
in the trenches.

Best regards to all.

Fred Hurd
Reno,Nevada