From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:00:12 -0600
>From:    Charter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Milk
>
>Is milk bad for ferrets, or should I allow him to have a bit now and
>then?

Most adult ferrets are lactose intolerant and milk will give them the
runs.  There are exceptions and trying them on it is the only way I know
to tell about the particular ferret.  There isn't much in milk that a
ferret needs anyway.  Heavy whipping cream is good if you are trying to
put weight on a ferret and usually there isn't enought lactose to cause
problems.  When I need to give heavy whipping cream I crush 4 Lactaid (or
other lactase enzyme) tablets and mix it into a half pint and let it set
for a few minutes before giving.  I have Lactaid Tablets on hand because
I'm intolerant myself and I like a little ice cream now and then.

--
Russ & Bonnie

URA Redneck if dad walks you to school because he's in the same grade.