Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 10:24:23 -0400
Jenna,

Is it possible that you could investigate the cost of living off-campus
(apartment, or room in a private house that allows you to keep your fuzzy),
and compare that to the cost of an on-campus dorm contract (including
mandatory meal plans, etc.)?  You might actually find that off-campus is
cheaper, and perhaps this cost savings would win your parent over to your
side. :->   I know that where I went to school under-grad.  (rural
Virginia), my off-campus apartment (one bedroom!  no roommate!) was
actually WAY more spacious than a dorm room would have been ... and was
cheaper than living in a dorm would have been, too! :->   And yes, I was
allowed to have a pet ferret there, too!

Another potential cost savings of living off-campus: you could keep the
apartment - and a job in the area - year round and earn money for the
upcoming year while living there during the summer.  One big drawback to
living on-campus in dorms tends to be that they close them not only during
the summers, but also during school holidays such as Christmas and Spring
Break.  If you're a few thousand miles from "home", like I was, that leaves
you with no where to go during that time ..  making them not a very viable
housing option. :-<   Good luck to you and your fuzzy ..  I hope it works
out well!

- Ela