From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 06:30:34 -0800
I just have to bring this up because once again I have been asked to rescue
a ferret for "biting".  When I went to see about this nasty biting ferret
what I found is this: A normally active young ferret that when playing
would grab the child (or adult) with its teeth.  It did not break the skin
and was actually behaving very normally and gently.  but because it used
its teeth to play was constantly being punished.  PLEASE people realize
ferrets play with their teeth.  If your ferret grabs you in play, but dones
not break the skin....this is not and I repeat is not a biting ferret.
It is a normal ferret doing normal activities.  If you absolutely cannot
handle a ferret the plays this way, please do us and the ferret a favor
and find a good home for the ferret and get a cat.  Ferrets are ferrets and
ferrets love to play, but they use their teeth and mouths.  A biting ferret
should be defined as a ferret that routinely and continuously bites hard
enough to break the skin and inflict a wound.  Then you have a problem to
be worked with.  There are many solutions all of which have been gone over
many times on this list.  I'm beginning to think it has become a bit of a
fad to say you have or had a biting ferret, when in fact all you have is a
playful youngster.  Be reasonable and careful as the ferrets in general
don't really need all that bad press.

Judith