From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 00:45:55 -0800
[Moderator's note: Warning -- gory details *will* get you upset.  BIG]

For those wanting information about the 82 ferrets stabbed, you can read
the article that appeared in the 11/27 issue of the Spokane newspaper.
http://www.VirtuallyNW.com/stories/1997/Nov/27/S311318.asp#reply

The staff writer was kind enough to put me in touch with Jean Smith who
owned and raised the ferrets since birth.

Reading the headlines and news article was bad enough but hearing her give
me the details had me crying and shaking and the hairs on my body literally
standing on end.

If you have a weak stomach, stop now.  I will try to keep out the most
gruesome details.

Jean has hand raised ferrets for 27 years as a hobby breeder.  She doesn't
sell commercially and gives most away, only to homes that she feels will
provide the proper care and love for "her babies".  The average age of
death, from old age, of her ferrets is around 14 to 15 years.  Very seldom
have any had adrenal problems or insulinomas.  Some have lived to be 17.

Jean worked for a vet for 17 years and has recently been doing home nursing
which allowed her flexibility in order to give her more time with the
ferrets.

A family she's known for 14 years was having problems with their son, Lance,
20 years old, so she took him into her home for awhile.

On Nov. 19th, Jean didn't have to go into work till mid-morning.  She did
her routine ferret chores, feeding, litter, etc. and said she would finish
when she returned around 4:30.  She decided to go home around 1pm instead to
finish foods, etc..  When she went to the kennel, the door was locked and
she couldn't get in.  When she did get in, she found ferret dead ferrets and
many others screaming in pain.  She immediately ran to call friends for help
and called the police.

The ferrets had been stabbed and injected with Liquid Draino and bleach,
five to eight times each.  Some into the skin under the scalps, into the
hearts, into all organs, into the throats and necks.  Many were hemorrhaging
right there.  Some died very slowly.  Living ones were rushed to vets.
Primarily Dr. Eric Stauber with Washington State University, who was just
ordered to stop caring/testing for her ferrets since the bill has reached
$3000.00.  She said he was almost crying when he had to tell her.

She had 143 ferrets when this occurred.  40 were left living, screaming in
pain.  There are 36 left now but she thinks half of them won't make it.
They are so traumatized, they are afraid of any human now and it's very
difficult for her to give meds and they scream when they see her when she
has to give med by injection.  If anyone is in the area that can help with
cuddling and re- assurance for these frightened babies, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Another vet she called for med to put one down, refused because she couldn't
pay him.  Fortunately, she knew someone else that would help stop the pain
of the little one screaming in agony.

In order to get meds and some vet care, her rent and utilities had to go
unpaid.  She still doesn't have money to buy the meds and supplies she needs
for the ones left.  Some still hemorrhage at times.

"Lance" was there when the police arrived but they wouldn't arrest him.  One
officer said to her, "Lady, you have to understand, these are only animals
and we have unsolved murders of humans".  Another person said Lance was just
standing by the door smiling and gave them the chills.  In the meantime, he
ran.  Shortly after and while the police were still there, Lance called.  He
said "You are as dead as your ferrets".  She doesn't have the money to have
her locks changed so all but one have been *super-glued*.  Her landlord is
threatening eviction due to the publicity of his apt.  complex.  Jean says
Lances' father is hiding him and he's gotten into trouble since he was 14.
A physicologist (sp?) friend of Jean's said he would probably have killed
her too if she had come home at 4:30 as planned and all her friends hadn't
been there to help her with the ferrets.

If anyone is in the Spokane area, help would be greatly appreciated.  For
the ones of us who are not, funds and supplies are urgently needed.

If you'd like to help with the vet care/bill, the address is:
Dr. Eric Stauber
WSU - Waddl
P.O. Box 2037
College Station
Pullman, WA  99165-2037

Jean needs bedding, sweats, blankets and towels to help maintain body heat.
Also any left over meds you may have, meat baby food, a/d, powdered soy
formula, Rugby Poly vitamins for babies, A D & E Wheat Germ Oil (hope that's
right), syringes, etc...And, of course, funds to buy other meds and supplies
she needs.  Her address:

Jean Smith
3523 E. Wellsey
Spokane, WA  99207

There was an interview with Jean on Channel 4 in Spokane tonight.  Hope some
of you caught it.

It has been suggested/requested by others, that each of us please contact
the police department and media in Spokane to voice our feelings about this
horror and to request the person responsible be dealt with accordingly.
Apparently they are not making much effort to apprehend Lance since "these
are just animals".

The phone number for the front desk of the Spokane Police Dept. is:
(509) 625-4100.  They would be able to direct you to the person
investigating this horror.  We do need to keep after them to make sure they
don't forget "just animals".

Please send anything/everything you can to Jean ASAP.  Let's help her save
the ones she can.

I'll compile info for media contacts.  Contact me if you'd like a list.

Jackie