From:
"C. Knell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:38:07 +0000
Hi,

I am new to the FML.  I adopted a very sweet approx. year-old panda six
weeks ago from a ferret rescue organization.  She had been found
wandering.  I have two questions which I would welcome advice regarding.

(1) She has been suffering from intermittent diarrhea, mainly when she
is outside of her cage (her poops in her cage are fine, except for two
occasions).  Her vet treated her with antibiotics for 14 days for
helicobacter mustelae, but the problem continues intermittently after
initially getting better.  Her vet has suggested trying Bene-Bac.
Following the directions on the package, I give her a dose every three
days.  Things seem to improve for a couple of days, and then she has
another bout.  On the third day I give her another dose and again she's
fine for a couple of days and then another bout.  The vet suggested I
continue with the Bene-Bac for another week.  Has anyone had a similar
experience with intermittent diarrhea?

(2) She hoards her food - not just a piece or two; there is a large pile
behind a cabinet and she has a couple of smaller piles around the house.
She is getting much better about sitting at her bowls, both in and
outside her cage, and eating, but she continues to hide pieces of kibble.
Someone suggested to me that she hides the kibble as a result of the time
when she was wandering and probably did not have any food.  I hesitate to
disturb her piles of food out of concern for causing her additional
stress.  Has anyone had any similar experiences with hoarding?

She gets along well with my two other ferrets (ages 6 and 5), but I also
think she may need a playmate closer to her own age (she's the "energizer
bunny") once the diarrhea subsides.  She is out of her cage (2 story with
all the ferret amenities) for 4-6 hours a day (but sleeps in the cage.)
Her "brother and sister" have free roam of the house and I am a bit
concerned that she doesn't understand that she is still a bit too young
to join them.

I wonder if these are stress-related responses to her wandering or
medically based?  I would welcome any advice or similar experiences.

Thanks very much.
Carol