Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:46:13 +0100
I'm writing regarding a friend. A few years ago his sister died and he
inherited her 2 ferrets. All was well until one of them, Willie, became
ill. My friend didn't know much about ferrets and didn't know that they
are very likely to become ill sooner or later. He had some savings that
were soon gone when Willie needed a check-up at the vets and needed to
have a big skin tumour removed from his ear. Then Willie was diagnosed
with insulinoma and has been on prednisolone for about 12 months, and
on diazoxide for 10 months. My friend is out of work and is struggling
financially, so Willie has not been taken back to the vets even though
he desperately needs to be. I never thought I would do this but I'm
asking for help to see if anybody could help with veterinary costs. My
friend is very attached to Willie because he reminds him of his sister
and can't bear the thought of loosing him. He is also new to having
sick ferrets and probably finds it hard to judge just how sick Willie
is. He believes that Willie might have a chance if he gets an
operation. He doesn't want to put Willie to sleep without at least
trying to save him. And all the time he hopes he will find work and
be able to pay for an operation.

Willie is not doing well right now and has deteriorated badly. My
friend has sent me pictures and videos of him and the latest videos
look like he is in pain and very miserable. He so desperately needs to
be taken to the vets and maybe get pain relief, or, if possible, have
an exploratory done and either be helped or put to sleep. I have videos
and pictures of him here:

Spring/ summer 2009
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ferretlove.uk/Willie#

5th April 2010
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ferretlove.uk/WillieVideos05042010#

(the # needs to be part of the link, if it isn't, copy and paste the
whole link into the browser)

If anybody can help, my friend said he can barter his
design/photography services, or take a private loan from anyone
willing to help.

The vets he would take Willie to are
http://www.southkendall.com/
I emailed them to ask how much an exploratory would be but haven't had
a reply.

I don't know how this would work but if anybody could help, please get
in touch with me and I will forward mails to my friend. This is a
genuine plea and people could even send money straight to the vets so
they can be sure it is used to help Willie. But as I said I don't know
how this sort of thing works. I struggled writing this mail and hope it
makes sense.

Ulrike