From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 07:50:04 -0500
Kim-

It's possible that your technique is the reason for your lack of success in
switching Puff over to a new diet.

Ferrets are very finicky, and will often turn up their nose at something new
- if you are just putting a bowl of Iams, ProPlan, 8/1, etc in front of Puff
and expect him to eat it, it probably won't happen.

Try putting 10 pieces of the new food in with the cat chow - you have to go
slow with the stubborn ones.  Mix some of the new food in with the old food
in a storage container so their smells mix - it may not seem so strange if
you do that.

After a few days, if you notice that he's eating the 10 pieces of new food
along with the old food, then slowly add a few more pieces of new food.

As you notice that he is more receptive to the new food, slowly decrease
the amount of old food you're using, until you've made the complete switch.

It might not be a bad idea to "blend" several good brands together for a
variety - this helps them be more receptive to new foods and a little less
finicky - it also helps should one of the brands become extinct - you're not
left in a crunch (no pun intended) without something your ferret likes.

I use several brands: Totally Ferret, Proplan Feline Turkey/Barley, Nature's
Recipe, Iams Feline Lamb/Rice, and 8 in 1.  Occasionally when I've gone to
restock my pet cupboards, the store might be out of one of the brands I want
- it's not a total disaster and I don't necessarily have to run all over
town frantically looking for a bag of food!

Hope this helps.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY