From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 11:12:35 -0700
To Linda Doran:

>What are your techniques in restraining the weasels for the vet WITHOUT
>scruffing?  And DVM's (if you're reading), how would you prefer the human
>half of your patient load to behave?

        Linda - I am a firm advocate of scruffing when necessary.  Don't
forget the Linatone as a distractor - that should be attempted first.  If
this fails, then scruffing is the second choice.  When I give shots, the
last thing I want is a squirming ferret.  There si little you can hurt in
the scruff of the neck - it is when you try for the body hold that other
things can get damage.  Also scruffing allows you to maintain control of the
head.  I wouldn't want my ferret to bite the doctor or anyone else - that
can only lead to trouble.   I prefer the one handed scruff and hang for a
quick injection.  For taking blood, though, a small amount of gas anesthesia
is my choice - trying to put a needle in the neck or leg of a squirming
ferret can be dangerous for everyone involved, especially the ferret.

        As far as the human is concerned - I would prefer they scruffed the
animal (if they have to participate) and kept calm.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath