Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 12:08:21 -0400
Had one of those: "Hey, you and Bob disagreed.  Who is right?" letters.
The answer of course is that neither of us is absolutely.  In relation to
putting ferrets together after a surgery we don't do it because we have had
ferrets try to fuss with others' wounds and have read of cases of ferrets
actually being opened up by other ferrets who were trying to groom their
wounds -- intestines hanging out when owner looks in and the entire spiel.
Apparently, Bob hasn't run into that problem, or has a ferret who is known
to be safe that way, or considers Fraggle's personality such that he feels
that she strongly needs the companionship at this time.  There are very few
absolutes in this world, perhaps none when it comes to behavior, and all
that any of us can do is to do our best and hope for the best -- that is
something which also allows all of us the chance to learn from each other.
There are always nuances and variations of behaviors which can't really be
communicated unless one is right there.  For instance, people who don't
know us well wouldn't have realized how incredibly often Warp was in
contact with either Steve or me, esp. during the first days
post-surgically, or that this was around-the-clock.  On the other hand,
without being there one can't know how Bob's specific individuals behave
when in with one who has a new wound.  So, know your individuals, take into
account worst case scenarios, consider your own availability and then just
do your own silly best like all the rest of us do.  I know that what we do
on this score has worked perfectly for us, but that's all I know, except
that things may differ in your home.  We all know that goes for just about
anything.  So, yes, friends can disagree -- with each having good reasons
for differing positions.  It's no biggie.  At times people's tone might
sound like it is, or maybe folks are warning about something which really
alarms them, or have restricted time and word something badly or misread.
Everyone here is only human.  We all know that.  No matter who they come
from opinions are only that; some have more experience or more background,
but usually absolutely NOTHING substitutes for knowing the individuals
involved (ferret and human) and using that as your basis for decisions.

In relation to the RSPCA; would it help for there to be international
attention?  If so, which media, politicos, etc.  should be written and
where?  Addresses?