From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 15:19:46 -0700
Hi Jill:

Welcome to Calgary.

My Fiance and I tried to get a ferret club going here in Calgary when we had
our fuzzies, unfortunately his sudden allergies curtailed a lot of our
involvment with ferrets.  Monica Istvan (who is on this list, but who's
email I can't find at the moment) may still be trying to get that going.

You can get ferrets at many local pet stores, but if you are willing to risk
waiting a bit, the SPCA here in Calgary is a great place to adopt from.  You
probably won't find a baby there, but you will find a ferret needing a
loving home.  Usually (if memory serves) the adoption fee is about $35 (it
will be more if the fuzzie requires altering).  Their number is 250-7722,
and their address is 1323 36 Ave NE.  If you go down to their shelter you
can also be put on a waiting list for a ferret (we got four ferrets through
them ... only waited at most a month).

Of the local pet stores, Pet Haven and Petland deal with ferrets on a
regular basis.  Bow Valley Pets deals with ferrets as well, but I have been
so frequently appauled by how that store treats many of its animals that I
refuse to deal with them (personal opinion only).  Bosley's does not sell
any animals (except fish) if you want to avoid frequenting pet stores that
sell animals.

I do not know of any local breeders.  We had a phonecall once from a lady
who claimed to be a breeder, but after talking to her we "mislaid" her
number as she obviously didn't really care about her animals.  (She also
thought it was ridiculous that a vet would charge a fee for coming out to
inspect her set-up).

Of the local vets who deal with ferrets I highly recommend Dr. Kerry Korber
and Dr. Jenni Bass at the Calgary Caged Pet Clinic (240-3577, 3118 - 17 Ave
SW).  They are the only clinic in Calgary dealing exclusively with "exotic"
pets, no cats or dogs.  Yes there are other vets around who deal with
ferrets, but I trust these two the most of anyone in town.  Their clinic
also does some work for the zoo if you need any other recommendations.

Most of the people I have referred to the clinic have been thrilled with
these vets.  Their prices are in-line with what other clinics charge for
vaccinations (I think they might charge $2-5 more than other places, but
having vets as knowledgeable in ferrets as them is worth it.) They have
their own lab and techs as well.  Both of these ladies know their stuff.
They are very professional and very direct.  (The only grumbling I have
heard seemed to come from people who had unrealistic expectations of what a
vet practice is about - expecting miracle cures for free type of thing.)

Feel free to email me anytime if you need more questions answered!

Lorraine