Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:08:56 -0400
I had a dark eyed white female come into the shelter that was the same
way. She turned out to be deaf (typical of dark eyed whites) and the
owners didn't know that. I could tell within the first few minutes of
meeting her.

She was kept in a small cage and only let out for cleaning the cage and
I think they had hit her. She latched onto my hand when I went to get
her water bowl and it took my husband awhile to pry her jaws from me.
We were both (husband and me) bleeding when it was over. I never got
mad at the ferret because of the conditions she came from.

What we did was let her play outside of her cage as much as she wanted
to. We didn't try to pick her up. We let her come to us. It was hard
at first because she wanted to "attack" us before (she thought) we were
going to "attack" her.

My daughter would sit on the floor for hours and just let her play
around her. It took less than two weeks and she didn't bite anymore.
She went on to live with us for a few more years until her natural
death. She was always my cuddler, I would pick her up an wrap her
around my neck.

Don't use her cage as a time out. That will just infuriate her more.
The cage should be a "good" place. I never lock up my ferrets. They
have large play areas in my walk-out basement with a cage in each area,
but only for them to go in and out at their leisure. So try to give
her as much time out of the cage as you can. They are not meant to be
a caged pet.

If you need a time out place, use a small carrier in the middle of the
floor. And only keep her in it for 2 minutes at a time. That is long
enough to get the point across. They like their freedom.

Also, if she is deaf. Make sure she sees you whenever you approach her
to pick her up. Use vibration to get her attention, so she isn't
startled.

Hope this helps.

Liz
 ...in the Company of Ferrets, Inc.