From:
Kelly Foran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:16:49 EST
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why my 7yr old
female, Phoebe is so itchy???

My poor girl has always been itchy.  She has had both adrenals removed.
I suspect the right adrenal was not totally removed and has grown back
some.  She is not on any hormone replacement, but was for years.  She is
very thin, but has pretty much always been tiny.  Her skin has always
appeared to look fine up until recently.  It seems dry and she gets tiny
scabs from scratching.  She groom excessively herself, other ferrets and
even us?!

It seems like she may be lacking something?  She eats several good
quality foods, she gets ferretone and lately ferretvite.  Our vets have
no idea what is wrong with her and never have?  We have gained all of
our insight from these wonderful mailing lists.

Poor Phoebe has never really been the picture of health!  I was
considering an oatmeal bath?  She jumps up from a sound sleep to itch!  I
just want her to be more comfortable and to gain some weight.  She eats
duck soup regularly.  I wish the vets could do blood work to see if she
is lacking something?  What is up with grooming humans and also lots of
licking?

Sorry this is so long.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly Foran