Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:28:15 -0700
Hi all,

I was reading through yesterdays posts when I came across a very long one
about the whole Egypt and ferret thing.  I have definitely had enough of
this debate, and I thought that we had moved on.  Oh well, guess scrolling
is the most rewarding task.

On the pet store issue, I agree that SOME pet stores are qualified in
selling ferrets, but they are few and far between.  The picketing may help
to create public awareness and also lower the sales of the store on those
days because their are some GOOD people out there that will not cross
picket lines.  However, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME CONTACTING THE HUMANE
SOCIETY.  THEY DO NOT CARE!  I tried this already, and do you know what I
was told?  I was told that if the animal has food, water and shelter, that
they cannot regulate beyond that.  In other words, you cannot prove cruelty
if they are providing these things.  The Humane Society/SPCA does not care
about dirty cages, the teathering of these animals, or the safety of them.
Ferrets are lumped in with cats and dogs, so there are no considerations
for the special needs of these animals.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME UNLESS YOU
SEE THAT THE ANIMAL HAS NONE OF THESE THINGS.  I tried to get a breeder
investigated for several things but because he was providing food, shelter
and water, there was little they could do even though they agreed with me
that the conditions were disgusting.

I have tried to find ways around all of this, to no avail.  If you can find
a way to hit the stores in the "pocketbook" that is the best way to handle
it since that is their biggest concern.

Take Care~