From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:18:01 -0400
>I am going to try and get him into my Vet in the next few days.  I wish
>I didnt have to wait, but as unfortunately I have to until Friday to see
>if my husband can get his paycheck early.

It's sad that things like this get heard so often, and I am going to
treat it not as a comment of one individual (who I am leaving nameless)
but as an often repeated remark from too many.  Such tragedies would be
eased if pet stores and ferret books emphasized that medical care for
ferrets is EXPENSIVE.  We figure that each one averages about $3,500 to
$5,000 in medical care in a lifetime (most of it while old but not all
necessarily so -- we've had an inquiry so I have to tell you that we
don't know at the moment what trying to save 6 month old Chiclet with her
severe bacterial infection is up to but it had already been above $1,000
before her hospitalization and now her time at home in her ICU set-up
with IV, pump, etc.  http://homepage.mac.com/esc/chicklet .) Our most
expensive ferret cost $11,500 in care; he was one of the deformed ones
we've taken in due to the deformities and for us those have been the most
expensive but I know that others here on the FML have had ones who cost
more in care.  Thank goodness for savings!  Right?

When acquiring ferrets it is important for anyone to know how much time,
attention, space, money, and medical care can be afforded and try hard
to not get more ferrets than can be afforded because otherwise they will
suffer and so will you.  Meanwhile, if there are a number of ferrets it
becomes essential whenever possible to put money aside for those times
when the ferrets need it.  I know this isn't easy.  We are without income
right now and we're doing Chiclet's care from savings.  It's not like we
wouldn't love to replace our carpeting, bathtub and shower which very
badly need replacing (but are functional for now so that is what counts),
or wouldn't like to paint our little condo.  It's just that we figure
"first things first" and since we accepted the responsibility of caring
for these little ones when they entered our family their care has to come
before those things, even when it means simply not doing those household
item replacements or postponing them for a number of years.  Budgeting
and saving give control over one's life to allow the important things to
be tackled as need, and as such as necessary even though they aren't fun.
There is a LOT to be said for having control over one's own life so why
surrender that self-rule at times when surrender can be avoided?  Life
gives hard enough times on its own without creating a lot more which
could have been avoided.

If a person can't afford care then see if your local shelter has a
fostering program in which costs are shared.

Getting more animals than can be cared for comfortably enough can lead
vulnerable people into animal hoarding and that disorder is hard on
everyone involved so anyone in such a position needs to read about it
and to take precautions when needed.
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding.html

No, lympho is NOT transmittable BUT there is a type of lympho which shows
evidence of having a viral precursor with something like 2 to years
lead-time after the viral infection for lympho to start.  There was
research on this in MIT years ago (Susan Brown's work, if memory serves)
and you'll find an EXCELLENT explanation of lympho types in a recent
back-issue of "Ferrets" magazine, written by veterinary pathologist, Dr.
Bruce Williams.  You can contact Fancy Publications about getting a
back-issue.  (BTW, due to knowing the current pressures of his schedule
we didn't ask Bruce to do Chiclet's pathology but gave his very close
friend, Dr. Mike Garner who is doing her pathology permission to share
with him and to work with Bruce as Bruce's time allows.  Those two have
an incredible sense of humor when they put their heads together, BTW --
VERY FUNNY.) Anyway, the virus which was shared years before is how such
clumps of cases occur.

>Sukie said...
>>USE ADVANTAGE or PROGRAM or anything else your VET tells you is ok.
>>CONTROL, BIOSPOT, ect ARE ALL TOXIC TO FERRETS AND CATS don't let
>>anyone tell you otherwise or you will have DEAD ferrets.)".  )*

>I don't know about the ferrets, but I know for a fact that CONTROL is
>very bad for cats.

Actually, I did NOT say that (hence the quotes written as >).  I was
quoting someone else (again, hence the quotes as >).  Thanks much for
the info!  Didn't know that!