From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 23:22:15 -0800
10/6/95

    First of all, I have to thank all of you that have called, faxed &
written to the various people and agencies on behalf of the Black Footed
Ferrets.  We have saved many lives, and have make a difference in how these
precious little ones are being treated now and in the future!

    I have recently spoken to Bruce Beskin, Badlands National Park, Chief of
resource Mgt.  (voice: 605-433-5361, fax: 605-433-5404; also
<[log in to unmask]>), and he said there is going to be two releases of
Black Footed Ferrets the third week of October.  No one will be less than
180 days old, the age at which they go off on their own when living in the
wild, and no seniors this time.  He has a mailing list you can request to be
added to for continuing information.  I will be posting summaries until our
web page gets on-line (see below).

    He said they all came from the Wyoming site, having previously been
consolidated to there.  They all are supposed to be pre-conditioned, this is
to say having experience with prarie dogs out of doors.

    Representatives of The Society for the Protection and Conservation of
the Black Footed Ferret (SPCBFF) have been invited to participate in the
restructuring of the Black Footed Ferret recovery program, also referred to
as the captive breeding program, in a series of meetings sponsored by the
American Zoo and Aquarium Association.  This analysis and action planning
process consists of two groups of meetings, one in mid October, and the
second group in late November.  Recommendations coming out of these meetings
will be presented to a group of impartial scientists to develop a new plan
which it is hoped will get the Black Footed Ferret recovery program on a
successful track.  Attendance is very limited and by invitation only.

    A plan is already under way for a "soft release" in Arizona.  A soft
release involves temporary predator control while the ferrets adapt to the
site.  In this case, we're talking about an electrified fence which will
keep predators out, however, ferrets may also exit at their own risk.

    A tentative captive breeding and pre-release conditioning project is in
the works as a cooperative effort between the National Biological Service
and a private corporation, and will take place in Mexico due to the fact
that large prarie dog towns are available there.

    A Black Footed Ferret home page is in the process of being set up which
will function as a central source of continuing information on the progress
of the captive breeding program, and the SPCBFF.  We will keep you posted on
it's progress and location.

    Free memberships are still being accepted to the SPCBFF.  Simply send
your request and a self addressed stamped envelope to the address below.
The durable plastic membership cards are in the process of being produced,
and will be shipped as soon as available to all of you that have already
requested membership.

    Again thank you for your continuing interest in protecting and
re-establishing this most endangered mammal on the North American Continent!
They are certainly a most worthy though distant cousin of our own furry
little children.

        Respectfully, Gary Holowicki, on behalf of :

SPCBFF
140 W. 29th. Street
Pueblo, Colorado, 81008-1016
719-391-2627

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.