From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:17:03 -0400
What about picking a shelter and sending a general gift box, in
addition to picking fuzzies from the trees? That way if any Santas go
AWOL, hopefully there will be extra gifts for the forgotten fuzzies
too. Every year there have been AWOL santas and it breaks my heart.
Others try to make it up to the fuzzies when we find out, but the
purpose of the giving trees is not only to get presents to the fuzzies
BEFORE Christmas but also to show the caretakers that others care about
the shelter ferrets.

Even though shelters have till Nov 30, that doesn't mean that many
won't get their ferrets up quickly and we can start picking right away.
Some people wait till the trees are full before picking so perhaps we
can pick one right away and then go back later and pick another, and
another later, and.... Hey, it works for me! ;-)

As far as last minute gifts - Gift Cards and on-line ordering are an
option, and many shelters ask for donations to their vets. The shelters
that make gift packages to sell for giving tree fuzzies work very
diligently getting their packages out very soon after ordered so they
arrive as timely as possible. Christmas this year is on a Sunday so
packages mailed by December 19th have a good chance of arriving in
time. If you wait till the last ferret is up, you'll still have time to
pick a fuzzie or two or three and pick and send gifts so they arrive
before Christmas day.

I know how much fun it is to pick gifts, package, and send so I pack
small gift boxes ahead of time and they are ready to mail, then I
order on-line for additional gifts. I also send out small gift packets
without picking the ferret, just because I want to send something to
those particular fuzzies. It's only a little 'something' but it is sent
with love and it shows someone else cares about the fuzzies. One of my
gift ideas is a small rope dog bone. I've watched my ferrets carry the
dogs rope bone away to stash them many times. Of course they try to
tote off all the dogs' toys, but they particularly like the cotton
ropes. I've also packaged a mix of toys and sent to shelters without
picking any of their ferrets.

It is very difficult for me to look through the trees at all those
precious faces that still need santas. I want to send gifts to all of
them but unfortunately my finances limit how many I can pick and even
then I go a bit further. I hope this year that more people pick fuzzies
from the trees and send a little something, even if it is only a
blanket and a toy or a treat, or maybe a $10 - $20 donation if you
don't have time to shop for a gift. If we skip a few latte's or eating
out meals there's the donation that quickly!

Please folks, start your giving tree shopping early this year. We all
have an idea of what fuzzies like and need. Wouldn't it be wonderful to
see each tree picked as soon as it is up and no AWOL santas this year!

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org