From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 16:41:22 -0500
Big, I know this is a long post, but I have the feeling that other shelters
have gone through this and are going through this.

Your baby died in my arms a few hours ago, you brought your baby to me to
care for, your reasons, I could give the little one better care because I
run a shelter.  You said you didn't have the time, or energy to keep the
care up.  I work 12 hours a day, and care for over 30 ferrets, I have more
time, energy, or money for the vet than you?  You didn't stop to think about
that did you.

You are a responsible owner.  I've seen your other ferrets, I know how well
you take care of them.  You knew I couldn't do any more than you, we nursed
your baby through ECE, you call anytime they sneeze funny, you ask
questions, I give answers from my experience.  I have always told you and
will tell you, see a vet, I am not a vet, but we can get your baby through
until tomorrow when you can get to the vet.  I am not a miracle worker.

All the while you told me this, I heard " I know my baby is dying, I can't
handle it.  You made me promise not to put your baby down, you asked for a
miracle.  I am sorry, I can't preform miracles, only God can.

I didn't put your baby down, but after two days of your little one crying
when touched for cuddling because it didn't want to eat any more, or take
any more meds, I held it and told it that it was ok, it was time to pass,
cross the Rainbow Bridge and play with my oldtimer there, and all the other
fuzzies.  After that your baby looked at me, and the breathing started to
slow and become labored, your baby sighed and crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  I
cried, I shouldn't have been the one to give the little one permission to
you, it should have been you.  You should have been there, to comfort and
cuddle.  Not me, but I did it, and will continue to do it for all the
fuzzies that come into my shelter that are sick or abused.

You swear that it won't happen again, you'll have the strength to be there
for your other fuzzies, I hope so.

And I hope others out there realize that shelters are there to help the fuzz
butts.  We will answer your questions, we will help any way we can, but it
is not fair that you think we are miracle workers, or vets, or a hospice for
your dying ferrets.

We deal enough with the ones that come in that are so sick all we can do is
try to help them heal, and we grieve for everyone of the ferrets we loose.
Our hearts break each time it happens, don't ask us to be the one to help
your sick baby cross.  We will be there to help you, and grieve with you.

The person I am writing about is a very responsible ferret parent, for the
most part.  And losing a loved one is not easy, be it human or ferret.  I am
asking each person that may be in the same spot this person was in to think
about what the person you are thinking of taking your baby to will go
through, what they have gone through, do you really think they have more
time than you?

Ask God, or who ever you believe in for the strength to get you through, and
lean on us for support, and help, do not give us the responsiblity that is
yours.

If it weren't for my husband's love and understanding, the shelter would not
be here, and I am sure that can be said about all the other shelters, so for
all of the "Significant Others" out there, that pitch in and help, hold us
when we cry for the one we lost, thank you.

A Grieving Shelter Mom