From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:50:31 -0700
>Okay, here's the deal... I agreed to board two female ferrets for three and
>a half weeks while their owner goes home to England....
        <snip>
>Now, my big question is... do I totally blow off what the owner instructed
>me to do? Or do I continue to care for them in a way I wouldn't care for my
>own?

My gut feeling says to care for them in a manner that you deem fitting for
the ferrets' best interests.  I do a lot of boarding and always care for
them in the same manner in which mine get cared for, because I believe that
is the best way to care for them.  I recently got in two ferrets who are
staying for 8 days...the guy brought me a cage, but no litterbox, about 3
days worth of food but no dish (*sigh*)  I put in a litterbox and feed them
as much as they want out of my own supply.

What you might want to do is compile information about what he doing
incorrectly (from the FAQ for example) and give it to him when he returns.
Detail everything you have done for the ferrets, and if you have to buy
extra food you may want to consider adding that to the bill.  He needs to
know what he's doing wrong and if you handle it tactfully and
diplomatically, all should go fairly well.  I don't know what you are
charging him, or if you have discussed it with him already, so that should
be taken into consideration as well.  We have a document that we have people
sign that indicates our fee (3$ per day, per cage, maximum 2 ferrets per
cage) and how we will care for the ferret.  Don't feel that people shouldn't
be required to sign things, you sure need to cover yourself too.

>Thank you Sheena and Pam for answering my ponderous message about the
>possiblity of letting Tarzan, Minnie and Claudette have kits next spring.

You're welcome, I hope I helped you out.  I was in Seattle on Tuesday
(Mercer Island) at Ferrets NorthWest where King 5 (I think) was doing a
documentary on ferret shelters.  I don't know when it airs, sorry :) (it
went *really* well too, no sneak attack questions about ferrets being
vicious or wild) Mr.  Lipinski had 32 ferrets in the shelter...I don't know
how many were his personal ones, but 4 had just arrived from California
where they had been confiscated by Fish and Game.  I believe a great number
of them were rescues, he says he has a very large volume of rescues all the
time, so there is another thing to consider.  They also do some breeding,
you may want to get in touch with one of their branches in the Washington
area and see what they have to say.

By the way...I had a simaese cat named Sugeigh whom I bred once to a
gorgeous persian.  We also had two "bunk" kittens (one stillborn, one with
*8* legs instead of 4 <also dead>).  She kept them on my bed as well.  But
two weeks after the kittens were born, Sugeigh passed away ( inflamation of
the intestine, cause unknown, and she was starving to death) and it broke my
heart into a million pieces.  She was such a special cat.  Needless to say,
it cured me of breeding anything ever again. (time to wipe away another tear)

"When from my kitchen there arose such a clatter
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter
The ferrets were dancing for joy in the mess
Admist broken antiques and a puddle of ... (well, you know)

"I gave each a kiss and cuddle too
And told them each "Boy, I love you"
Then I thanked the heavens yet once more
That nothing had fallen and squashed them on the floor

"Every ferret is special to us
It's not worth the time to make a big fuss
Over a few broken things or a mess on the rug..
Just a smile and a laugh ...
and a ferrety,
Philosophical,
shrug."

Merry Christmas
Sheena

Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >