From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:31:31 -0400
Karen expressed concern about someone's use of the term "hobby" in
relation to the rescue or shelter of ferrets, and that her dictionary
defined "hobby" as something done for "relaxation".

Dictionary.com uses the term "pleasure" instead.  Having done it, I can
assure you there is plenty of pleasure in running a shelter!  There is
the pleasure of seeing a fearful ferret become loving and playful, a sick
ferret regaining health and dancing and dooking, the joy in the eyes of
a new adopter realizing they have just been kissed by their new best
friend.  Lots of pleasure there, admittedly along with lots of work and
sorrow.

I think Karen's concern is that, to many, "hobby" implies a casual
relationship.  But many hobbyists are passionately committed to their
hobbies, pursuing them wholeheartedly and with love and devotion.  Even
those hobbies that I personally would find little pleasure OR relaxation
in, like skydiving!

Earlier this year, I read an FML post that used a phrase that raised my
hackles.  That phrase had a certain connotation to me, and I immediately
assumed the worst.  But I reread the post twice, and went back and read
earlier posts in the thread, and realized the problem was simply MY
interpretation of the words, not what the person wrote or the situation
behind it.

These are just more examples of how words often mean different things to
different people.  We need to learn to look beyond the words themselves
to find the intent.

Linda Iroff

International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org