Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:02:13 -0500
Hi!  I was just going to send this direct to Erin, but then I kind of got
into it and hence, decided to post to the List.

Before I bought my home, I moved almost every year from apartment to
apartment.  I had 8 cats by the time I moved into the house.  My cats have
all done well with the moves.  I got my first ferret after the house, tho
I'd do the same if I had to move with them.

First, on the day of the move, before you start with anything, put the
ferrets into a carrier.  For ferrets, if you've got one big enough to put a
litter box in, that's better.  If not, don't worry; they'll use one of the
corners.  If you can, attach a water bottle to the carrier and give them
some food too.  If you can't do that, you'll have to remember to stop back
and feed and water them if the move takes a long time.  I found that it's
best to have the pets secure before the door opens for the first piece of
furniture.  There's no chance of an escape that way.

Next, pack the truck or car or whatever.  I've been lucky enough to always
have a rented U-Haul when I moved, and friends to help with the lugging.
If you'll be making more than one trip, take the pet supplies on the first
trip.  The pets themselves always go in my personal car, never in the
moving van.  It's too dangerous for them in the van; something may shift
and the carriers crushed.

Once at the new house, first thing to do is set up a room with the pets'
supplies.  The bathroom makes a good holding room.  Set up the cage or at
least the litter box, the water dish and some food.  Use the same bedding,
don't change it until well after the ferrets have settled in.  It's
comforting to have the same smells as before.  Close the pets in the room
and leave them there.  Check on them occasionally to be sure they're
alright, but not often enough to upset them with the constant disturbance.

Now finish the move.  Lug those boxes and lift them lamps.  Carry those
couches and bed frames.  Good luck and don't hurt yourself.  Try to set as
much stuff in it's permanent spot as you can.  Try to secure everything
else safely until it can be set up in it's new spot later.

Now relax.  I hope you remembered to eat something along the way and stop
for breathers.  Take a drink and have a snack.  Feel better?  Good.

Now is the time to go sit with your pets.  Play with them.  Talk to them.
You're relaxed so they'll relax.

I introduce my pets to the new house slowly.  Once I've got their room
set up (usually my bedroom), I move them in from the bathroom, using the
carriers.  I let them get used to the one room for a day or two.  Meanwhile
I pet-proof the rest of the place.  As I work, I'm also setting up and
setting out all the furniture and stuff that the pets will remember as
being part of 'home'.  I'm spreading my scent around as well, so they'll
know I'm there.  When they're more relaxed and I'm sure I won't need to
open the front door for more and a second or two to come in or out, then I
let the pets out to explore.  I try to stay visible and I talk to them alot
so they can see I'm there while they explore.  This also lets me catch any
bad spots I missed in pet-proofing before anyone gets hurt.  I use the
first room as they're safe room for a week or two while they get used to
things.  I feed them there and close them in at night or while I'm out so
that no accidents happen.  After about a week or so, they usually settle
right in.

Hope this helps and good luck with the move!

Anastasia Kidd
home email: [log in to unmask]

P.S.  Don't forget to change any ID tags.  Use key tags as temporaries
until permanent ones can be made with your new address and phone number.
Even tho my ferrets are housebound, they all have harnesses and tags for
travelling.  The cats wear permanent collars with tags too.