Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:36:59 -0700
On integrating....

Well, it has taken me a grand total of two weeks to move Phebe in with Worf
completely.  They started in seperate cages with supervised play time
together.  Phebe was only .42 lbs when she came home, Worf is a lean/mean
2.75 lbs. (not an once of fat on this guy!)  so I was cautious about their
interacting at first.  Although I did NOT stop Worf from carrying Phebe off
by her scruff and "hiding" her under the dresser, I did make sure he wasn't
hurting her.  Once it was obvious that this was love-at-first-bite so to
speak, they were allowed to play without supervision all the time while I
was at home.  Once Phebe had learned to climb up the little 2+ foot
"stairway" (I made a real, mini stairway carpet and all, for my late ferret
Katie to be able to get in and out of the cage which has legs and stands 2'
off the floor) and to climb back down again, I let her spend first a day and
then all night in with Worf.  Other than the two of them waking me up at 4am
playing too loudly there were no problems at all.  Phebe has now spent 3
whole days and 2 nights in the same cage as Worf and they are both very
happy!

Phebe's favorite games at this point are to wrestle with Worf while he is
inside an old pair of sweats and she is outside, and attacking Worf's tail.
If he gets anoyed.... he just grabbs her by the scruff and hauls her under
the dresser for a nap!  Phebe is already 95% on hitting the litter box!
She even put on a show for my Mom when she came up to visit last night by
running straight to the box and using it while Mom was watching.  (Such a
smart little baby!) Worf, weeelllll....... he's still at about 80%.
(Personally, I think it's a "Guy" thing.  ) Go ahead guys, flame me!  I
deserve it.  ;}

On the "hunting" thing....

Sadly, Worf recently killed my Mom's favorite cockatiel.  The bird got
upstairs into my room while Worf was out playing, and evidently got cornered
on the floor in the bathroom where he couldn't fly away and Worf got ahold
of him.  When I found the bird it had several wounds to the head, but NO
other marks on him.  It was obvious to me that once the bird quit moving Wof
was no longer interested in "Playing" with it anymore.  I know that it
wasn't so much a "hunter instinct" that induced Worf to do this as it was a
natural, playful reaction to something that "played back".  I don't think of
Worf as a killer, he just got ahold of the wrong toy and "broke it".  I've
tried to feed him meat, and he likes it a bit, but only cooked.  (Jerky is
even better!)

My heart goes out to all those with sick fuzzies, or that have recently lost
a little one.

Amy Evers
Worf (aka: The Velociweasel!) and little Phebe ( the mighty-mite)
Still missing our sweet Katie.
"Here's Dookin' at You Kit!"