From:
Sandy Repper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:59:10 EST
Some of you have read this before, and some haven't had the chance.  You
might note a few changes in it this year, if your memories good.  Happy
Halloween.

It is said that every year on All Hallows Eve, strange things happen in
Ferret Hollow.  I just never believed it, but took a dare this Halloween to
go there, and watch for what the old timers called the ghost dance.  Silly,
I know, but it was a double dare, and I thought why not go and prove or
disprove the myths.  Ten o'clock Halloween night found me sitting in a
tree, in the middle of Ferret Hollow.  Hey, why take chances?  I must
admit, at first I was chuckling to myself to be doing something like this,
but soon began to feel something strange, almost mystical.  I caught a
glimpse of a fleeting shadow, but passed it off as nerves.  Then I could
have sworn I saw the shadows begin to sway in the silver moonlight.  Must
be that my imagination was getting the better of me.  As I continued to
stare unbelievingly, I became more and more convinced that I was seeing
something moving down there.  It looked like many long, slinky shapes
dancing and cavorting in the flickering shadows and the moaning wind.

Things began to coalesce, and I could clearly see what everyone had been
talking about for so long.  There was nothing to be afraid of, these were
old friends celebrating as only they could.  There was Jasmine over there
twisting as she jumped, and Whiskers, just to the right, ducking under
Foster.  Then Valentine and Saben came into view, doing a good impression
of a pinball game, followed by Cookie, Misha and Snickers.  In a shaft of
pale moonlight I could swear I saw Chelsea and Meeteetse dancing together
very ladylike, and they were interrupted by a wildly bouncing Swiffer and
Kodo.  Along came a line of them moving in time to an unheard rhythm.
There was Saffy, Peanut, Skat, Podo and wasn't that Sancha there.  Knuckles
came running to join them and crashed through the line.  Well, that just
started even more crazy antics.  There were so many, I just watched in
amazement as they danced and twirled, never colliding unless there was a
special gleam in the eye of one.  It was a wondrous sight.

All to soon, I noticed there were fewer of them.  They were leaving the
hollow by ones and twos.  As much as I willed them to stay, they must have
needed to go.  They all looked happy, although some seemed like they were
missing something, and they peered around expectantly, and shrugging left
too.  Only one was left in the swirling mists of near dawn, and I could
swear she looked up at me and smiled.  As the first rays of morning sun
reached Ferret Hollow, she too seemed to evaporate.

I'll never forget that magical night.  I was allowed to view an event few
humans ever see, and for that I am grateful.  All the warm fuzzies I felt
that night will stay with me for a lifetime.  What a mystical experience
to carry in my heart, and help me to remember I have my friends with me
always.  Watch the shadows in the moonlight on All Hallows Eve, and I know
you too will see your friends dancing and gamboling and being eternally
fuzzy.

Sandy and Fuzzies