From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:19:12 EST
Has anyone ever had a ferret suddenly turn into a biter on you?

I have had Samson for over 2 years now, and never really had a problem with
him personally.  Yes, he doesn't like strangers.  He's nippy with them.
And yes, he has bitten me a couple of times, all in the middle of rough
play, though.  But last week he bit me *badly*, and I assumed he thought
I was the squeak toy (he doesn't see too well anymore).  But in the last
few days, he has nailed me more than a few times, and it's never been a
friendly nip to get my attention.  He just walked up to me this morning,
and took a big hard bite out of my foot (I was sitting on the floor
watching them).  And when I picked him up to say "no", he lunged (for lack
of a better word) and got my nose.  Now this is Samson, the one who loves
cuddles, and kisses.  He's perfectly fine otherwise, and nothing has
changed in their environment.  This worries me, and I want to nip anything
in the bud that might come out of this.  He is about 4 years old.  I know
it sounds strange that a ferret would suddenly start doing this, and that's
why I'm stuned and worried.  If you have any insight on this, it would be
appreciated.  Thank you.

Jaymi + the 8 furry angels and 1 nipping devil