From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:02:25 -0400
<http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=15771&startid=15772>

**As both a vet and a breeder, I can say that I have seen both social
and health differences between kits that are taken from their mothers at
the four to five weeks that is often done at the pet store suppliers, and
the kits that remain with their mothers until ten weeks (which is the
minimum that I or the breeders that I deal with will sell kits).  The
kits that are allowed to be with their mother and litter mates are far
healthier as far as bone density, muscle development, social interaction
skills, etc.  To separate them at even younger ages for no other reason
than personal preference rather than a health issue strikes me as even
more likely to have such effects as stunted growth, both physically and
socially, bone and muscle development problems and others.

I would never release one of my kits at that age.  Ever.**

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.