From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:48:17 -0400
>From:    Calysta Thalassa <[log in to unmask]>

I do agree that ferrets were probably NOT domesticated in Egypt, but not
because of your #2 reason:

>2) If ferrets were domesticated 1200 years before cats, why isn't there
>the variation among the species as there is in cats?  There are dozens of
>different "breeds" of cats.  (Dogs, who have been domesticated 12000 years,
>possess literally HUNDREDS of breeds) With ferrets, you don't, except
>perhaps with the angora ferret.  With ferrets, there are mostly just colour
>variations.  These changes take time' a lot of time, as well as controlled
>breeding conditions.  This alone makes me believe that cats have been
>domesticated far longer than ferrets.

It actually doesn't take all that long to create "breeds" of animals.  I
think the reason that there aren't ferret breeds, like there are dog and
cat breeds, is that no one ever saw a reason to create any.  Dogs became
differentiated into breeds based on what needs the breeders and owners had
for them.  Some were bred to be leggy sighthounds that could run down big
prey, others were bred for following scent, some were bred for herding,
droving, and draft work, while others were bred just to sit on your lap
and be spoiled.  Inbreeding and linebreeding will create a new "breed" in
relatively short order (certainly within a person's lifetime, if not a lot
quicker).  You could also take budgies as an example.  The first recording
captive breeding of budgies was somewhere in the mid-1800's.  Yet today we
have scads of colors and patterns, and two distinct types - the large
"English" or "show" budgie, and the smaller more "American" type (which is
also shown).

>When it comes right down to it; who cares?  For the average pet lover,
>does it really matter if it was domesticated longer than the cat, or vice
>versa?  Of course not!
>Amy

Right!

Karen
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures...
Remember when someone annoys you that it takes 42 muscles to frown,
but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.
;-)
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html