Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 02:46:46 -0500
It's what I use.  When winter came around this year I got a bag of wood
pellets...and weeks later figured out that one of my girls is allergic
to it.

I like it because it absorbs well, is heavy enough to not cling to ferret
fur and get on other things (though it does get scattered through other
means).  I can *find* it, it's relatively dust-free (there's a *touch* when
I pour it out of the bag), and it's relatively inexpensive for all that.
Though not nearly as inexpensive as wood pellets (they're not the "Stove
Chow" brand, which I could not find here...my impression is that wood
pellets are not made equal, and it could well be that there was just
*one* thing in these that caused the allergy).

I won't use clumping litter of any kind for the ferrets (we do for the
cats) for several reasons...the main one is that it clumps *on* the ferret.
I've seen it clumped to their behind, in their noses, etc.  Bad situation.
Not every one of the ferrets would develop "clumps", my late Tempest would
run to the cat box in the bathroom and go there every chance he could (it
was supposed to be off limits), and he never had a problem.  But I have to
clean off my girl every time she gets into it (she doesn't dig, that's what
one of the boys does).  While I'm a dedicated ferret mom, I'm not going to
stand and wipe their butts every time they poop :-P

Sue