From:
Lisa Garrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:40:51 +0100
Hi,
Two days ago I wrote:

>I want to obtain my first ferrets, and I want to know what sort of
>experience you list members have had with private breeders.  I want to get
>a cinnamon (reddish) ferret, and a black and white panda ferret, I am also
>interested in silvers and dark eyed whites.  How does the health and
>temprament of ferrets from private breeders differ from the Marshall Farms
>ferrets I find in my local pet store?  In particular I am interested in
>hearing from anyone who has bought a ferret from 'Country Ferrets.'

and no one, not one human, or ferret for that matter, has responded to me!!
Not here in the ferret list, nor via private e-mail!!  :-(

Have you ALL bought your ferrets from Marshall Farms?  I'm very serious
about getting a ferret, and keeping the SAME ferret for a very long time!!
That's what I do with pets, keep them and spoil them (even my betta fish)
until one of us dies of old age.  I can safely say that I have never given
up a pet.

I really need to know who the most ethical, humane, conscienscous, and least
expensive breeders are.

- I need to know things like, is shipping traumatic for ferrets?
  (Ofcourse a breeder who wants to sell his ferrets will say, no)
- What will have REALLY happened to the kit before I get it?
- Most ferret breeders appear to raise their kits with woodshaving bedding.
  Does this mean I will get a ferret with respiratory problems?
- What are the signs and results of inbreeding with ferrets?
- What exactly is line breeding?  How does it affect ferrets?
- Which ferret breeders do you know of, who practice inbreeding or line
  breeding?

If you have bought a ferret from Country Ferrets or another breeder, I would
like to know the details of your experiences.  You may wonder why I am
asking about Country Ferrets.  Well, I'll tell you why, the way their
pricing is I will be able to afford a ferret friend for my otherwise
only-ferret, if I buy them both at the same time (for a total of $225).
Since I understand that ferrets are happier in pairs, this is a good thing
for the ferrets and myself.  If I wait and introduce a new kit to an adult
ferret, they may not like each other, to say the least.  I have a low
tolerance for aggression in my home.  I got that from my Mom, who used to
say, "You kids be dear and sweet, or I'll wring your little necks!" But I
digress, I am especially interested in learning how their health and
temperament has been since you got your kits/ferrets.  Please write, I look
forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

-Lisa

   ( )--(a)               "Everything that lives
   (@=@=) \                  Lives not alone
   O__)  \ \___              Nor for itself"
      \   \                    William Blake
      /\ * )  \

* Cool stuff in this sig. was shamelessly stolen from other people on the
Ferret Mailing List, must be the Ferret in me.