From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:45:19 -0500
Just got the first of the by-mail replies back (this follows the phone call
from Dr. Satalowich of MO that MIssouri will go to following the new
compendium).  This letter is from Bob Johnson, DVM, Epidemiology and Disease
Prevention, Vermont Dept.  of Health, and he knows it's going to the FML and
other places because the letter I sent to all stated that their letters
would be so shared, so any can appear here verbatum, unless they say
otherwise in theri letters.  You'll notice that some confusion exists
between states, but I expect that will change (probably toward most
expecting the others to have quarantine even if they don't) after the start
of '98.  Anyway, here it is (the ... is his):

 ******
Sukie, your ferrets are safe in Vermont but I've heard that may not be the
case elsewhere (Fla,NH).  I am a committee member of the Rabies Compendium.
We unanimously voted to handle ferrets that bite a person like dogs and cats
based on the new data.  Even though our current law says euthanasia ... I
plan on a 10 day observation period immediately.  I am asking for an
emergency rule change.  The Commissioner of Health in Vermont by law is
responsible for rabies prevention and animal management.  I am the
Commissioner's designee.  I am in the process of referencing the most recent
Compendium in our state rabies rules <This is important>.

You can find a list of SPHV in the AVMA Directory 800-248-2862.

******

Okay, there you have it for VT.  Sounds like it's a matter of having all the
stuff written out, with all the references (which he, as a member of the
Compendium Committee will have), then it goes to the Commissioner and gets
final approval.  He doesn't sound like he expects any problems.

Will let you know about the other states as they come in.  If too many come
at one time I'll send the stuff on to Bill to put in as he has time and
space.

Sukie

P.S. thanks, Bill, for fixing up my plant letter!!!!!!