From:
Jeri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:32:30 -0600
Hi All,
I have read with interest the posts about a ferret's susceptibility to
various human ailments, especially the "flu."  I would like to clarify a
fact or two.

Flu is short for influenza which is a very serious upper respiratory
illness with possible complications, most often pneumonia.  It is caused
by a virus and cannot be treated with antibiotics.  Influenza lasts for
several days or even over a week in humans.  If you have an actual case of
the flu, you'll wish you were dead.  I came down with it (probably caught
from an emergency patient) several years ago and I felt like I would have
to get better to die.  The symptoms, headache, body aches, high fever, and
nasal congestion are not merely a nuisance.  I learned from experience that
flu shots in the fall are well worth it.

What many people call the "flu" may very well be an upper respiratory
infection (common cold) or a stomach virus or the like.  The symptoms of
these usually last a few days and a person can often function at least
minimally after a day or two.  "Flu" seems to have become a generic term
for any short-term illness.  I think that most of us have grown up
recognizing the term "flu" as many different illnesses.  Of course, any
illness in a ferret is a cause for concern and a consultation with the
vet.  Influenza in our furry friends is indeed an illness not to be taken
lightly.  If I suspect that one of my ferrets has the flu, I will not
tarry.  Many vets will put a ferret on an antibiotic to prevent
complications, such as the deadly pneumonia.  This is why a ferret may not
get better right away after starting an antibiotic.  The antibiotic is for
the possible bacterial infection that may move in on a weakened animal (or
human).  Supportive treatment is paramount in treatment of influenza.
Fluids top the list.  Medications such as decongestants may help with the
symptoms.  You have to go with what your vet advises.  An upper respiratory
infection is hard to discern from the flu in early stages.  Both have
similar symptoms and both may be be viral in nature.  We must be very in
tune to our ferrets' behavior and so on.  I would check with my vet
immediately if somebody starts to show symptoms.  My boy, Kinze, exhibited
URI symptoms last fall and, like any good ferret parent, I panicked.  He
was better in a couple of days and back to his old self within a week.  A
flu shot may be good investment for us humans to help alleviate the
possibility that our ferts might contract this disease.  If you didn't get
a flu shot this year, remember it for next fall.

Regards, Jeri Klein RN