From:
Donyele Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:09:17 -0600
   HI ALL !!!!!

To the person who wrote about his ferret waking him up at 3:00 in the
morning: I to had this very problem, Buddha would wake my husband and I up
every morning around 3:00 or 4:00 we were terribly miserable!!!  We had a
piece of linoleam in the bottom that he would scratch at makeing the edges
curl.  we took it out but he would grab the cage with his teeth and and
shake the door.  after 3 nights in a row like this we started keeping him up
late at nighthe would try to crawl into his cage and we would try to rile
him up and get him to dance around he would for a few min but than would try
to get back in to bed.  Now we make sure that an hour befor we go to bed he
is awake and playing.  he still wakes up every once in a while but he will
put himself back to bed after unsuccesfully trying to get us up.  also
instead of tile on the bottom floor of his cage we have a really thick towel
folded up to fit the floor.  he never misses the litterbox when he's in his
cage.  I hope this works for you.  Good Luck !!!

About 3 weeks ago or so a woman wrote about her ferret putting itself in
it's cage after going potty in a forbidden corner.  she asked if anyone
elses ferrets "punish" themselves.  I have not experienced that but when I
was trying to keep Buddha awake late at night so he wouldn't wake us early
in the a.m.  one night he grogilly crawled up onto a box in our room (we
were still unpacking from our move) looked over at us and peeded right there
as we tried to grab him he was perfectly still, almost as if he knew that
this behavior would get him into bed.  and he was right.

People are always asking for help with litterbox training.  I am usually one
of those unfortunates.  I seem to have made some progress.  It was actually
an accident.  I ran to the corner store to get some plain cat litter, and
when they were out of the brand I usually buy.  I remembered people talking
about recycled paper litter and decided to get some.  Now, unless Buddha was
locked in his cage he would never go in his box.  If out of his cage I had
see him sniff his box and proceed to trot out the bedroom door so he could
try to go in front of the front door or by the toilet.  We keep a good eye
on him because we know this annoying habit.  Whenever he starts to back into
a corner we are right there picking him up and placeing him in th box.  He
has also been known to pretend that he is going so we will let him out.
Well finally today he actually trotted all the way from the living room to
the bedroom into his cage and he really went !!!!!  I just pretended that I
wasn't really watching him while trying to whisper to my husband to get in
there.  It was really outrageous how much hugs and kisses he got.  and a
Ferretone round for all my friends.  Yes there is hope!!!!!

For anyone who wants it the litter is called Nature Fresh. there is a # on
the bag 1-800-835-6369
                            GOOD LUCK ALL !!!
                                Evyonne

Also can anyone tell me how long ferrets keep there winter coats??  Buddha
started to get his about a month a go and now that it is fully in he seems
to be shedding.  if anyone knows I would really apreciate it.