From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:27:13 +0800
Sorry . . . but I thought this was the FML?  Or is it the FHL?

> Topics of the day:
> 32. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: grieving complications
> 33. BW FHL cross-post, digest 290: fish and ferrets
> 34. BW & JM FHL cross-post: mites discussion (All learn from each other.)
> 35. BW FHL cross-post, digest 290: Cholodin
> 36. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: vomiting ferret
> 37. JM FHL cross-post, digest 291: various Helicobacter options
> 38. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: an IF type of thing to consider for vax
>  39. JM & RH, digests 290 & 291: surgery with ADV -- opinions range
>  40. JM FHL cross-post, digest 291: Lupron dose aspects
>  41. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: cagemates with adrenal problems
>  42. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: adrenal symptoms and side
>  43. RH FHL cross-post, digest 292: when adrenal confusion happens
>  44. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: x-ray refinements for painful back
>  45. RH FHL cross-post, digest 291: hind limb weakness
>  46. BW FHL cross-post, digest 292: jaw puzzle
>  47. BC FHL cross-post, digest 291?: pelvic limb skeleton
>  48. BC FHL cross-post, digest 293: Thoracic Skeleton

Not to be rude - and I am certainly not bashing the FHL - but I am subbed
up to both lists and find the reposts on the FML to be nothing less than
irritating.  In fact, I have skipped both lists due to it.  I do not mind
having adverts for the FHL posted on the FML - I mind having the FHL
posted on the FML.

I *do* understand that the information is interesting and not everybody
is subscribed to the FHL (thus advert post should be done).  I also do
understand I am not the only FML reader that is irritated with it.

Amy Flemming

[Moderator's note: Here are my thoughts on the cross-posting issue.  More
important information follows.

1) The cross-posts are typically highly condensed and relatively few in
   number.  Sure, some days there are many, but I typically get two FHL
   digests a day -- many, many more.  They are also consistently formatted.

2) But one of the main reasons I like to see them on the FML is that they
   become part of the searchable archives, along with the existing 75000
   posts already there.  People can get basic info and different info by
   searching the FML archives and then go to the FHL archives for the full
   threads.

3) Finally, note the cross-posts are *always* at the very bottom of the
   FML digests.  If you receive the FHL already -- and I hope most of you
   do -- simply stop reading the FML when you get to the FHL cross-posts.
   You won't be missing a thing.

Now, thus far, one other person has voiced a similar opinion.  While I've
received SEVERAL positive comments, I certainly wouldn't mind having more
opinions.  Feel free to e-mail me directly.  If it becomes evident that
subscribers don't want the cross-posts they will be discontinued.  BIG]