From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:57:58 -0400
Running around under basins of any type is what most of us used to call
"Daleks" in the early years. That even predated the FML! It is so long
ago that I can't even remember which of us came up with it first. It
could have been Buckeroo Biana, or Mark Burgess, or Shu Ju Wang, or
Chris or Pat Lewis, Urban Fredricksen (sp?), or Steve or me, or one of
the others whose names escape me right now. I simply don't remember.
The term "tank" came later (I recall it being more generally applicable
for those who were not familiar with Dr. Who, especially the Hartnell
ones where the feet could at times be seen below the dalek shells. In
fact, I think that Pam Greene who seems to have been the first to ever
use "Dook" was also either the first to use "tank" or the first to
reintroduce that term after an earlier bout of use (which vaguely seems
more accurate) but I could be wrong. Turtle came much later as a term.
I think Bob Church possibly began that one, and if I recall right he
used it for when a hope was cut in the "shell" so that the ferret could
stick out the head if desired. We tried that variation and found ours
like the blind run, but individuals vary in what they like so we
probably should try it again. (Telemna with her pianos -- yes, two now
with thanks to Lisa! -- is proof of that... LOL!) BTW, we have also
found that sockie head (running around blind after jamming a sock on
one's head) is another favorite blind motion game. Human and chimp
children also often love variations on that game.

[Moderator's note: "Daleks" first mentioned on the FML in 1991, in a