From:
Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 18:12:52 EST
I'd like to respond to questions about the MSPCA.  Most of you probably know
that the MSPCA is the Mass.  Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals; they have been around for a very long time.  While I don't agree
with all of their policies, I understand their position on the ferret bill.

First, it is my understanding that the MSPCA supports legalization of
ferrets but not sales in pet stores.  Having ferrets sold in pet stores
makes a lot more work for the MSPCA in two areas: first, it is my
understanding that they will be inspecting pet stores; and second, the MSPCA
runs a number of animal shelters throughout the state.

Even after ferrets are legalized and we have our own shelter system in
place, people will still be bringing (i.e., dumping) their unwanted ferrets
(cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, pot bellied pigs, chickens, horses
etc.) to the MSPCA.  I know *I* won't be available 7 days a week to take
every unwanted ferret from anyone who has one; the MSPCA shelters will.

The MSPCA staff will be the ones caring for these unwanted ferrets (and you
can bet a lot of the ferrets will be impulse purchases from pet stores);
they will be the ones nursing the sick ones back to health, or making the
painful decision to euthanize ones that they consider unadoptable because
they have been abused or neglected by someone too irresponsible to take
proper care of their animal.  The MSPCA will be the ones investigating
cruelty charges (if you saw the story in the Boston Herald the other day
about the 2 collie puppies rescued from people holding dog fights, that was
the MSPCA).

Even when we have a shelter system in place and are hopefully able to
provide *every* unwanted ferret in Mass.  with a safe permanent place, we
will still be working closely with the MSPCA as many people in Mass.  will
know of them more than they know of us.  Hopefully we will have a good
relationship with them and they will give us their ferrets--but running a
ferret shelter is not a job to be taken lightly.

I also would not want the MSPCA compared to the HSUS (Humane Society of the
US) whose California branch actively opposes legalization and portrays
ferrets as vicious animals.  Again, the MSPCA supports legalization but has
always opposed pet store sales.  If there is a "bad guy" here, let's pin the
blame on those pet store owners who see ferrets as a way to make money.  I
do not blame every pet store owner, but long after those certain
irresponsible pet store owners are counting their dollars, the MSPCA will be
taking in unwanted ferrets.

Again, I do not support the MSPCA on everything, but I do see them as a
group concerned about the welfare of animals who will be directly affected
by pet store sales.

Ronnie DiComo