From:
Roger Mcmillian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1993 00:11:01 -0400
We may have to amend the survey on which airlines permit ferrets as carry ons.
I just returned from a short vacation in Ohio with my youngest ferret, Black
Magic.  I had made my arrangements in person at O'hare Int'l Airport on United
Airlines, a full month prior to the flight. At the ticket counter, I informed
them that I would be bringing a ferret in a wire top carrier that conformed to
their size restrictions. After some checking on the computer, I was told that
everything would be OK as long as the kennel passed inspection and the ferret
had the required certificate of health. (She had a clean buill of health and
both Distemper (Fervac-D) and Rabies (Imrab) vaccinations. The agent told me
that I wouldn't have to pay for Magic until the day of departure, so I
purchased my tickets and waited.
        On the day of the flight, I checked in 2 hours early, having just come
from an event sponsored by a local PetCare store to raise funds for the GCFA
shelter. It was a good thing I did. After some checking, the clerk at the
kennel check station informed me that Magic would have to ride in the Baggage
compartment. I protested saying that she was not a wild animal and that I had
been told that she would be allowed to ride under the seat in front of me. She
told me that ferrets were not on the list of approved pets. I asked if she was
on the list of animals NOT approved for carry on and she checked. "No, " she
said, "but she had checked with her supervisor and was told that ferrets must
ride in baggage.

        It was fortunate that I had brought along a small Kennel Cab for her
to stay in when we got to Ohio. I quickly assembled it and transferred her
litter pan and food/water dish to it. I gave her a hug and placed her in it
and handed it to the baggage porter.
        I still had her wire-top carrier , so I put my jacket and other loose
items in it to have them scanned at the security checkpoint. It had
ferret-related stickers (Contents: One extrtemely adorable baby ferret)
(California Doestic Ferret Association) (Fingers placed in cage may be
considered as lunch) on it and attracted the ttention of the attendant at the
departure gate. "Ooooh can I see your ferret?"  I told her that they wouldn't
let her come except as baggage, and she got on the phone to find out why. It
was a moot point as the luggage had already been loaded and it was time to
board. I was about to get as comfy as one could get with an empty ferret cage
in one's lap in economy class, when the stewardess came by.
        "Mr. McMillian," she smiled, "the Captain wanted you to know that he
tried to get your ferret brought up from baggage, but couldn't. Failing that,
he'd like you to be his guest in seat 1B." 1B is First Class. Free drinks and
a light snack. Granted, it was small consolation for not having my little one
with me, but it wasn't the Captain's fault. Service was great and the food was
likewise.
        The flight to Columbus was uneventful. The visit with family , too
short.

The return trip was a near repeat of the first leg.  The only difference
was I didn't ride First Class back to Chicago.  Needless to say, a
letter is on it's way to the President of United Airlines, expressing
both my displeasure over the mix-up and my commendation to the pilot and
crew for their attempts to remedy the situation.  As soon as I receive a
reply, I'll print both letters here.

Here's hoping your travels are happier and that the skies will someday be
friendlier to our critters.

--------

In other news-  The GCFA is proceeding with plans to hold the 6th Annual
Greates Ferret Show on Earth, Sept 11th at Du Page County Fairgrounds. For
further info, call or write the GCFA. PO BOX 7093 Westchester, IL 60154

(708) 964-4232

--------

Rog

--