From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:54:43 -0500
I live in Ohio. I've visited Doug's farm, which is on a multi-acre
property.

* I can attest that the conditions there have not changed materially in
at least 10 years. Doug's health is not the issue. As he became less
able to take care of the animals, his family members have helped.
Declining health has not convinced him to cut back. And there is no
evidence he is on his death bed.

* Several times of which I am aware, groups of Ohio ferret owners have
gone to the farm to help clean up. It does not last for long.

* The animal welfare laws in Ohio are sadly lacking, even with a
stronger bill passed a couple of years ago. There is little Ohioans
can do to shut him down when he is not breaking any state law.

* He is NOT subject to USDA APHIS regulations unless he sells to
RETAILERS. He does not, at least not openly.

* Doug has long used the technique of selling his excess yearling stock
in the spring at low prices to kind hearted people wanting to "rescue"
them. Having excess stock has not caused him to cut back on breeding.

* Remember there are mink on the property, raised for fur. There is
also a market for ferret fur, called fitch. Draw your own conclusions.

* ADV has been brought up. There is NO evidence he has had ADV in his
stock of which I am aware!

* There are more likely closer to 2000 ferrets. Besides those in
exposed cages, he has a barn full of breeders.

I have written to Mr. Franz expressing my concerns about potential
public health issues, and the "unsightly, unhealthy and inhumane blight
on the community" the farm represents. I've provided him with my full
contact information.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org