From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 06:42:35 -0500
I think it would be interesting to collect all that stuff and put it
together.  When I first got into ferrets in '85, my vet told me about
6 years was the life expectancy for a ferret.  Now, 8 to 10 seems to be
what I'm hearing these days.  My second ferret, Nikki, who was a lover
and a lap ferret, died just before her 2nd birthday; she had a mediastinal
tumor that surrounded her esophagus and trachea; it was unoperable.  My
first ferret, Mickey, died 2 wks after his 7th birthday, shortly after
being diagnosed with insulinoma.  Even though on Pred and Proglycem, he
couldn't stop seizing.  We had even started giving glucose fluids subq to
try to bring his blood glucose up.  Today I have a 7 1/2 yr old w/ insulinoma
who is doing ok for now.  I have friends who have 8 and 9 year old ferrets,
so I think it has to do with more vets having a better understanding, knowing
more, and their popularity has generated more ferret-care books, info, clubs,
shelters, etc....

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA