Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:14:54 -0400
Sandy has been taking her meds in a syringe with some soft food and/or a
little ferretone and water to wash it down.  I stuff her with soft food
before the medicine because 1: she eats it and I like to see her eat and
2: to protect her tummy from the prednisone.  I give her a squirt of food
around 1-2 CCs every hour or 2 when I am in the house.  I want her to put
on weight for surgery, and for metabolizing energy when she needs it
most.

The problem is, 10-15 minutes after her meds, she has crashed into a
leg-weakened-drooly state.  This happens, so far, about 25% of the time
and I give her a wallop of caro on her gums to get her through it.

It doesn't make much sense to give her more meds at this point, since she
has a tummy full, so my question is this:

What is happening?  Is she reacting to the meds, or is her body suddenly
loosing energy while diverting its resources into digesting the food,
thus giving her the crash?  She (thank goodness) seems to do fine
afterwards for hours or even days, so I am thinking that during "the
big feeding" I should give her a small bit of sugar on her lips in
ANTICIPATION of the crash, because it has to be better to not go through
the experience.

 ?