From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:12:51 -0700
This is another good day in Frettchenvergnuegenland!  We got ferret
THOFER-ni (that's THOFER number 2 in Japanese) back to his beloved mistress
Carol Toikka after having been a wanderin' lost for the past 3-days in the
wilderness forests of the Mukilteo/Everett Washinton State area.  This area,
adjacent to Boeing's Everett manufacturing plant, is heavily wooded and is
known for its abnormally high population of coyotes, as testified by the
large number of sightings of coyotes crossing the airfield runways, mostly
at dawn and at dusk.  Cougar are also present in increasing numbers, since
the Fish & Game have stopped the use of cougar hounds by cougar hunters.
However, a good predator caller can often get his X-hairs betwixt the eyes
now and then.

THOFER-ni was adopted from Ferrets NorthWest on May 11, this year, he was
born at FNW on July 19, 1997, is a silver mitt, and at the time of adoption,
weighed 3 lb 12 oz.  Fortunately, being intact (viripotent), robust, and
large, he was able to survive his encounters with the wild critters he
apparently encountered in the forest during his 3-day adventure.  Upon
recovery Carol noted that he has two broken canine teeth, and a laceration
on his head.  Any internal wounds are not evident and will be the concern of
Dr. O'Rourke, his Marysville, Washington veterinarian.  I've suggested that
THOFER-ni's feces be collected on a clean surface and be taken into Dr.
O'Rourke.

One can only wonder if THOFER-ni had been instead a puny Marshall Farms fur
bag instead of a Hob Horribilus, would he have survived?  I have my doubts.

Carol Toikka called in to FNW on the 17th, reporting that her ferret was
lost.  Today, the 20th, I received a call from a commercial printing firm
reporting a very friendly "I wannabe your friend" grey ferret had wondered
into their shop.  This shop is just a 10 minute drive from Carol's house;
however the straight line distance is much shorter.  After checking the lost
ferret reports, there was the likely possibility that this found ferret
matched the description of Carol's ferret she'd phoned in 3-days earlier.
So several phone calls were made to locate Carol thru her mother (not an
animal person, she says) and to the print shop to tell them that the likely
owner was on her way to ID the ferret.

She did; it was; and now everybody's happy.  So you see, it's been a
good day here in Frettchevergnuegenland, Jawohl!

Edward , Der Wahrheitskaempe von Frettchenvergnuegenland dabei Lipinski,
or as termed by my friendly vet, "Ferret Nazi" who has been seen wearing
a World War 1 German helmet and an Iron Cross affixed to his
chest-mounted knife sheath.

"Only in Amerika . . . vhat a country!" as said by  the emigree Russian
comic, Jakob Smirnoff.