Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 03:55:46 -0700
Norine recently emailed me to say that Norm of the GCFA recently
passed away. This saddens me greatly.

I get asked a lot of questions during my travels and research on
ferrets. The one question that is never asked is, "Who are your "Ferret
Heroes?" Honestly, even if asked, I probably wouldn't give a truthful
response because of the political implications (I detest -- and avoid
at all costs -- interest personality clashes). However, there are
occasions when such concerns are moot.

Norm was -- still is -- one of my ferret heroes. From my experiences,
he was always ready to admit and correct a mistake, would try new
ideas if he thought they would help ferrets, and never once put
ferrets second to his own needs. Mostly, my impressions are that
he never worried about the ferret community when there were so many
ferrets to worry about, and if he offended a few people while putting
ferrets first, he didn't much care about that, either.

I only communicated with Norm a few dozen times, and I met him in
person even less. My paramount memory was when I was visiting the GCFA
shelter and suggested using a squeaky toy to test the hearing of a new
ferret. Norm did so and was promptly nipped to the bone within seconds
of the squeak! I've always felt bad about that, but at the time Norm
just laughed it off and said that if I didn't know better, then he
should have. Norm, just a few days ago I told that very story to a
UK ferret owner when their young ferret nipped me to the bone! I tell
it every time I get bitten. And I still feel bad. :-)

My other lasting memory of Norm was his gentle approach to working
with ferrets. My dad once told me -- on the occasion when I was about
11 and kicked at my dog for tripping me -- that angels often disguise
themselves as animals, so if I treated an animal cruelly, I might be
harming an angel. Norm must have also held the belief, for I never
saw nor heard of him acting badly towards any animal. I think Norm
must have comforted thousands of angels during his life.

I believe a person's long-term pattern of character transcends their
follies -- or their triumphs. Norm's treatment of ferrets always
demonstrated to me a character that is one to be emulated and shared,
honored and respected, and valued and taught. Norm is one of the very
few people I would place on a "Ferret Lifetime Achievement Award" list.

I will miss you tremendously, Norm, but your ferrets will miss you far,
far more. I think there is no better eulogy -- or honor -- than that
given by those quiet angels you have loved and protected for so long.

Bob C [log in to unmask]