From:
Lisa Leidig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:49:48 -0400
Hi again everyone!

On the subject of Blood donor ferrets, I have had one little guy, Misha, who
has donated blood 3 times in order to try and save another ferret's life.
The first time we were too late; the second, I got to see the recipient of
his blood - a darling little silver mitt sprite that had a bad case of flea
anemia.  She survived.  The third time was also flea anemia and he survived.
Misha never suffered at any time, I would not allow that to any ferret.
Misha has since been retired as a blood donor, and replaced with Buster, my
german boy, who is 8months old and over 5 lbs.  So far, Buster has not had
to give blood, but he stands by in case of a ferret in need.

Its a small thing to give back to the vets who help us so often, you know?
On 2 of the occasions, the vets asked me how much it cost for their blood,
and I told them nothing - its a donation to help another.  Whether the vet
than charged the owner of the pet, I have no idea.  But the vets that I deal
with give so much to me in the way of reduced costs, medications, help after
hours, etc.  that I feel its just a small way of saying thanks back.

Lisa Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"