From:
Peri - PLSC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:22:59 -0700
I agree that, in future a disclaimer might not be a bad idea.  First,
there are new members on the list that might fear expressing their own
opinions if they read what they perceive as ridicule of one's deeply-held
beliefs.

Too, those of us on the list that do "have lives" (I'm sure that most
of us) haven't necessarily got the time to catalog each and every list
relationship, like soap opera afficinados, to determine who is doing a
legitimently friendly jab, and when the exact same post might be
construed as unnecearily scathing and hurtful in its rapier wit.

I doubt folks would have jumped on the band wagon so quickly to quelsh
this line of dialog if the memories of the last *genuine* ugliness on
this subject were not so fresh in memory.

Disclaimers do serve their purpose, and appear in even the best satire.