Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:16:51 +1200
For those who adamantly feel that feeding mice is wrong, I would suggest
not reading any further.

I've been watching the responses to Reets comment about feeding her ferrets
dead mice with some sense of disappointment.  I knew it was coming,
expected it, but still... it would be nice if some people would learn at
least a little tolerance, if not actually looking into the possibility that
someone else may actually be right.  Even if she was wrong, then at least
being polite while offering your own opinion would be appreciated.  The
sheer rudeness exhibited by some people off-list (and some on-list, if it
weren't for the good graces of the BIG guy) still manages to astound me.

I can understand why some people feed their ferrets mice.  After all, mice
have to be *the* perfect food for ferrets.  They're adapted to eating mice,
from their little mousy ears, to their little mousy tails and everything in
between, including the contents of their little mousy stomachs.  Ferrets
thrive on mice!  Of course, feeding only mice probably isn't a good idea,
after all, in the wild, polecats don't eat only mice, nor do feral ferrets.
Feral ferrets and polecats would not only eat mice, but rabbits, insects,
rats, even fish, and birds where possible - not to mention anything worth
scavenging.  However, mice hold vitamins and minerals that no mere kibble
can provide, in amounts that the ferrets body is designed to be able to
consume readily.  If anyone needs *proof* as to what feeding mice can do
for ferrets, visit some homes of people who routinely do so.  Looking at
only two places which I *know* feed mice, and have done so for some time, I
see one place which has ferrets who have lived up to thirteen years, and
another place where ferrets live over 10 years.  Both of these homes are
in America, and both have Marshall Farms ferrets.  (*note, whether this is
feeding mice, or something else, I cannot attest)

I can also understand why others choose *not* to feed mice.  Personally, I
have yet to feed my ferrets mice.  Why?  Because unlike in the US, mice are
not available 'pre-frozen' for snake food - after all, there are no snakes
here to feed.  I *could* breed my own mice, as I know several people on
this list do, to ensure that the mice given to their ferrets is of good
health and at least well cared for before they're given to the ferrets.
However, I already know I haven't the heart to kill the mice, and I
personally don't like the thought of giving the ferrets live mice.  I know
people who do feed live mice, and all the more power to them.  Call me
sentimental, but I personally couldn't do it.

However, my choice over whether I feed mice (live or dead) is just that.
My choice.  Not yours, not Joe Blows, not the Presidents, not Fish and
Games.  Mine.  If someone chooses to feed live mice, which I personally
couldn't do, I don't believe that telling them that they're the lowest life
form on earth and should be strung from the highest tree will help them
change their minds.  If I disagree with someone enough to *want* to make
comments like that, I feel that finding something to support my own stand
and phrasing it politely may have more impact than just mouthing off.  If I
cannot find anything to support my stand, then why would that be my stand?
My stand with feeding live mice is purely emotional.  I don't like the
thought of giving my ferrets a mouse to kill.  That's a purely emotional
stand, and as such there's nothing concrete, other than my feelings, to
support it.  Since there's nothing morally wrong in allowing nature to
follow it's course (mice are killed every day by predators, after all) I
have no right to chastize someone for choosing to do this.

Everyone's entitled to their own stand, but blasting someone else for
*their* position is inviting others to do the same to you.  Too bad these
people haven't the courage to take their opinions to the rest of us to
view.  Maybe they realise that they're wrong in how they're putting their
opinions.  I sure hope so, at least that way there's a chance that they
may eventually learn to temper their blunt criticism with some tolerance.

Sam