From:
Dave++ Ljung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 11:22:59 MDT
|2) Continental does allow a number of small animals to be taken in the
|cabin in an under-seat carrier: small cats, gerbils, hamsters, etc.  But
|not ferrets (the discrimination continues...).  One possible gamble Steve
|could take is to just bring the ferrets in the carrier and just go for it
|and see if anyone really checks.  It will be pretty obvious that there
|are some small animals in the plastic carrier, so the question is will
|the inspector really open it up to see what _kind_ of animals?

Yes yes yes!  As I mentioned before, I don't think this is much of a
gamble.  One question I have for you is *what* inspector?  I've flown with
my animals a few times, and they don't have inspectors as far as I know -
then again, I haven't flown Continental.  If you can get the ferrets to
sleep in a sleeping bag inside the cage then that's even better, I'd
suggest getting some mild tranquilizers from your vet.  Then again, my
ferrets always seem to doze off when we travel about.  If the ferrets are
sleeping and can't be seen, then the air people won't go opening the cage
up to check.  Remember, it's just their job, and they don't really care
about which animals get on the plane.  Chances are (as has also been my
experience), they usually don't even know what the rules about carry-on
animals are.  Heck, if you're really pissed at Continental for making you
go through this, you can just skip checking the animals in and just carry
them on.  The steward(s/esses) won't check to see if you have that sticker
on your cage.  One thing to note is that I don't think they allow multiple
animals in one cage - so when you get on and everyone asks you what animal
you have (out of curiousity, not because of the airline rules), I'd just
say a kitten until you get nearer to the back of the plane :)

Okay, so it's all very dishonest, but I don't have a problem with fighting
ignorance with dishonesty - feel free to flame me on it.  Heck, other than
that I'm a frighteningly honest person...    :)

Have a wonderful trip!

Max, Sag, Cinder, Kodi, Dave