From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:19:13 -0800
>From:    Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Above scrutiny?
>For what possible reason could anyone feel that MF should be above
>scrutiny?

We don't say they are.  Does anyone?  See below to see OUR problems with
Marshall Farms.

>Because the 1994 investigation of their practices have now "been
>discredited"?  Discredited by who?

Well by lots of folks, including Dr Judi Bell and Debbie Riccio who wrote a
letter to the editor of the publication that printed those articles.  Her
letter was butchered before it was published.  We ourselves noted flaws in
those articles.  Many flaws.

>I've lost two MF babies to adrenal disease, both had ovarian remnants.
>The vet, a ferret surgeon, said that can only result from premature spay,
>botched spay, or both.

This vet you refer to disagrees with several other vets.  You omitted a
name so we know nothing about who this was.  Dr Kemmerer posted here with a
different opinion on this issue.

>From:    "Alice D. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall's good reputation?
>Bill or Diane, how bad should Marshall's get before we become concerned?

Well we are concerned now.  We do not approve of the early age at which
Marshall (and other ranches and hobby breeders) sell/ship kits.  We do not
like the descenting (but this is probably not a major issue).  We do not
like the early spay/neuter as it does seem to hinder full maturation of
ferrets.  This does prevent deaths from aplastic anemia so it is perhaps the
lesser of two evils.  We do not like the fate of the retired breeders but we
do not have a solution.  We have never heard a realistic one.  But we do
applaud the program wherein some are shipped to vet schools.

>Bill or Diane, are you sure whatever good reputation Marshall's has is
>based on fact?

Yes.  bill's first ferret, now passed on a few years ago, was a Marshall
jill that in our humble opinion was the very best ferret we have ever known.
Many others seem to have the same opinion of their Marshall ferrets..

All of our Marshall ferrets have now passed on.  We do not intend to ever
buy another Marshall kit.  We do of course take them in to our shelter.
It would be a stretch to say we support Marshall Farms.

>At many pet stores Marshall's reputation is praised because proprietors
>want to sell ferrets and they'll tell a customer anything to do so.

We were told about this by pet store owners after they knew we were breeders
and ran a shelter so it was not an attempt to sell anything.  Just why they
paid more for Marshall Ferrets than they did other ferrets.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]