From:
Lauren Grunbichler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:27:39 -0500
We have 2 female ferrets aged 18 months and 9 months.
About a week ago Cleo, our eldest started panting a lot and taking very
shallow breaths.  She also became a bit lethargic.  We monitored her for a
couple of days and as she was not behaving like her "old" self we took her
to our local vet; to whom she regularly goes for check-ups or vaccinations.

He gave her an X-ray and said that she had a large restriction close to or
around her lungs that COULD be caused by 1 of 3 things:

1.  A large tumor (Could not see exactly on the X-Ray).
2.  Heartworm
3.  Fluid around her lungs or in the cavity for the lung's expansion.

He has put her on anti-biotics and diuretic medication to try drain the
fluid, but can give us NO clear diagnosis.  He says she is too weak to
undergo an operation or to insert a needle into her chest to drain the
fluid.  She may not wake up from the anaesthetics.  As this happened so
suddenly and with no apparent cause we are very upset and in shock.  Has
anyone else experienced the same symptoms with their ferrets, or possibly
know what the problem may be.  Also, what was the outcome??

Read on another website about ferrets and diseases about a disease called
Lymphosarcoma.  Could this be the problem?

Anyone or any veteranarians out there that may be able to help us, please
respond ASAP as Cleo does not look in good shape.

Thanking you in advance
Carl & Lauren