From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 20:05:56 -0500
SOS has helped us too, God bless them.

Eleven years ago, this week, we took in our first rescue. In all this
time, we have never come to this, or any list , asking for help--save
once--and they were there for us.

We had long been recognized as a sanctuary providing hospice & lifetime
care--and this had resulted in an unusually high number of sick furkids
coming our way. Many needed special vet care & expensive meds for life.
(In fact, at that time, one whole wall of cages was already being
referred to as "The meds wall")

We have never turned a ferret away due to age, health, or disposition--
but we were the only ferret facility in 79 miles. We were the only game
in town -- and for many towns around! As much as we loved them, the
burden was pretty great. If we didn`t take these needy kids in, they
would most likely be put to sleep. I will always be grateful to SOS,
not only for the financial help they provided, but for the emotional
support too.

We are also thankful for the six other shelters out there who sent
boxes to our sanctuary last Christmas. We had lost 10 of our wonderful
furkids to the devastating mystery illness--and five others to
unrelated causes (lymphoma, heart, etc.) in 3 /2 weeks` time. We also
put three through surgery. December of 2008 was the absolute worst for
us--and six other shelter moms & dads knew that. Even though I know
they could have used treats, bedding, and gift cards, they sent these
things to US...Some even sent things like homemade truffles, bubble
bath, and herbal tea to ME!!! The notes inside were very comforting.
I will never forget how it made me feel.

A good friend donated 10 (4 month) doses of lupron. Another one donated
a brand new Martin`s cage. We were able to re-stock our meds cabinet,
somehow.

Performance Foods even sent a donation of Totally Ferret, knowing some
of what we had been through. These are good people.

Another shelter sent a huge box of assorted ferret treats here for
Easter--and a box of treats came just yesterday from a wonderful young
woman who has been good to us before. A 13 year old girl sent us a
paypal donation, in honor of her best friend`s 13th birthday.

We have had many visitors--some bringing paper towels, bleach, baby
food, toys & treats. Some left donations.

Each & every contribution has helped Zoo`s Ferret Sanctuary to continue
to provide quality care for its little ones, and we are so thankful.

Sometimes, one has no IDEA exactly how helpful they have been. Nobody
knew that my husband`s full-time job ended in August. That no one has
been hiring, for miles around-- and that he has been only working 1- 3
days a week, at a part time job. It`s been quite a ride! Somehow, just
enough donations came in, to cover our $400.+ per month kibble bill,
and our vet bills, and meds & (12+ jars daily!) baby food. It`s amazing
how faith works. Wants don`t always come, but NEEDS always DO...

Kurt started a new job today, so we have yet another reason to be
thankful.

If you really love ferrets, I might suggest that you join the
Buck-A-Month Club with SOS. They have done, and are doing, some very
good things. All this time later, we are still thankful to them.

Love,
Zoo