Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:09:43 -0500
I have a question for breeders.  My ferret Sadie had her second litter
three weeks ago.  I left town for a couple of days and left her and the
babies in the hands of a capable vet student.  When I returned her mammary
glands were huge., swollen, and the tissue surrounding them looked swollen
too.  At first I thought it was mastits (since I am always alarmed).  She
had mastits once and it looked very different.  Could it just be that she
is carrying ALOT of milk and the glands are engourged with milk?  I soaked
her in a tub of warm water (Thanks to the Killians for the advice from last
year!) and it seemed to help alot.  The swelling seemed to go down
overnight.  Not completely but a noticeable amount.

She is nursing nine kits.

Thanks Shelley Straight

Amy Wang

Graduate Studenet
Department of BIomedicine and Pathobiology (DBSP)
Maryland Virginia Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University  (Virginia Tech)

Phase II, Duckpond Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0442