Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 03:27:08 -0700
In my recent post about training ferrets to be mine-sniffers and
diggers, I should have mentioned the un-totaled number of mines still
buried in lands ravaged by earlier wars Uncleared mine fields render
the land useless for agriculture and other uses, as if it were fallow,
but with a bang ... or two ... or three, etc, etc, etc.

I was reminded of this from a gracious reader as follows:

I never know when you are serious or joking, but your idea for
mine-sniffing ferrets sounds intriguing. Everyone knows (or at least
the media tells us) that there are still unexploded mines in several
countries long after the wars have ended. It would be great to start
in those countries to get rid of the existing mines before moving to
active military zones. That might make an interesting story element,
if I were to ever write a war story. I'll have to give it some thought.
I wonder if it has already been used somewhere?

Thanks to the reader for the added reminder.

Edward Lipinski

I know you believe you
understood what you
think I said; however,