From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 11:33:52 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the pati= ent is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the
client is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: question for vets
>I have a 5 y.o.  female that started showing signs of insulinoma last
>spring She had a seizure occasionally.  When the weather started turning
>cold, the seizures became more frequent and I began handfeeding her 3-4
>times a day.

Yes, there can be microscopic tumors causing the hypoglycemia.  Even in
solitary tumors, there is usually microscopic spread to other parts of the
pancreas.

>From:    Megan & Ferrets in the Sun <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need help...Ferret with swollen vulva
>I run a small ferret rescue and today picked up a little girl that had her
>vulva swollen to about the size of an acorn.

TOP of the list is adrenal disease.  Less likely is estrogen stimulation
from an ovary or ovarian remnant.  I wouldn't bother biopsying the vulva,
aim for the surgery.

>From:    "D. Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Scooter is Better!  Maybe misdiagnosed? I hope.
>Actually I am hoping that Scooter was misdiagnosed.  For those who don't

I would think a respiratory infection (secondary to heart disease) as
possible since two differnet vets reviewing the data can to the same
conclusion.  I've had some ferrets that "decompensate" in their heart
failure and require medications such as diuretics until they reach a stable
state and then can be weaned down (or off) the diuretic.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA